[SOLO] Jules' mixture of covers/recordings! [Updated 21/10!]

Archive
juliqaaa
Back-up Vocalist
Back-up Vocalist

[SOLO] Jules' mixture of covers/recordings! [Updated 21/10!]

Postby juliqaaa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:45 pm

:hiya: Hey guys! So I'm a newcomer here and in the introductionary post, I was encouraged to post some of my recordings! I've decided to put a mix in so you guys can listen to what kind of recordings I've done! They're all solos and I'll most likely update this post if I've got something to show you guys ^^

Just Vocal:
EXO's 'Growl' short cover
LC9's 'Hold On' short cover
Eric Benet's 'The Hunger' short cover
4Men's 'Baby Baby' short cover

Rap:
Taehun's rap in ZE:A's 'Phoenix' cover
Yongguk/Jepp Blackman's verse in 'Plz Marry Me'
Busta Rhymes' rap in 'Earthquake'

I also do a bit of songwriting and I like being cheesy so I've written my own birthday songs for my biases/favourite groups before!
Another Year, Another Special Day (Yongguk's birthday song 2013)

Hope you enjoy listening! Sorry for the long list ;A;

---------
Updated 21/10: Some of you were curious to hear what I sounded like doing a girl's group song so I dugged into my archives and found an old recording that I did back at university with my housemate! We recorded a short acoustic version of 2NE1's 'Lonely' and we didn't have a proper microphone so we just used the one on her laptop :fufufu: Hope you enjoy listening~
Last edited by juliqaaa on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Almighty Cho
BR's Confused Powervocal
BR's Confused Powervocal

Re: [SOLO] Jules' mixture of covers/recordings!

Postby Almighty Cho » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Yay you posted stuff up :D
I have to go to bed now and will be gone tomorrow, sorry >< but I'll surely comment on this Friday latest ^^
네게 눈이 먼 난 널 보낼 수 없어...
Kyllia
BR's Chinadian
BR's Chinadian

Postby Kyllia » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I don't know much of the songs so I can't comment too much :P but your talking voice is freakin' sexy haha~ And your accent <3 I like your higher range more though I think but I'll have to hear more :) Your mic makes me a little sad though
juliqaaa
Back-up Vocalist
Back-up Vocalist

Postby juliqaaa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 pm

Kyllia wrote:I don't know much of the songs so I can't comment too much :P but your talking voice is freakin' sexy haha~ And your accent <3 I like your higher range more though I think but I'll have to hear more :) Your mic makes me a little sad though

Haha a lot of people like my talking voice/accent but I've never had someone call it 'sexy' :blush: so thank you! Ahh is my mic not that good? I should have mentioned that I brought a snowball blue mic and I'm not that great at mixing, so the bad variety volumes and popping noises are some things that you might hear in my recordings! I brought this microphone a year ago and I'm still getting used to it :fufufu: thank you for your comments though, I really appreciate it!
Kyllia
BR's Chinadian
BR's Chinadian

Postby Kyllia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 am

Ahh Blue mics are great though maybe you're just too close to the mic causing distortions :)!
juliqaaa
Back-up Vocalist
Back-up Vocalist

Postby juliqaaa » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Kyllia wrote:Ahh Blue mics are great though maybe you're just too close to the mic causing distortions :)!

I think I am too heh, thank you! I'll try and arrange where I place myself/the mic next time ^^~
Yukidama
BR's Snowball
BR's Snowball

Postby Yukidama » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Imho it's always best to simply set your microphone's recording volume as quiet as possible. Increasing the volume after recording is most of the time no problem ^^ getting rid of distortions is a lot harder or close to impossible :_:
Your mic quality sounds find, you just "max out" a lot :3 but that's something that easily can be fixed~

Your voice sounds very sweet. Your higher register sounds a lot more comfortable to you ^^ but you sang mostly guy's songs so you struggled quite a bit with your lower register. I'd really be interested in hearing you cover a girl's song, without those distortions of course x3
Your raps sound soooooooo chilled and natural, I really really enjoyed those~ You have such a cool attitude/flow *3*

I'm very much looking forward having you join our projects~ ^3^
Almighty Cho
BR's Confused Powervocal
BR's Confused Powervocal

Postby Almighty Cho » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Finally time to listen :)

EXO - Growl:
Your voice itself sounds pretty nice :3 It sounds a bit "untrained", you know? Like an "unpolished diamond" you say here if you can already hear you can make a lot more out of your voice when training it :) I think you had a bit of a struggle to hold the pitch of the notes which is why the way you sang it became a bit unrelaxed, but I think this can be provided with training your "support" which is what we should use when we want to sing from "the whole body" is what my vocal teacher always said haha. If you listen closely right now you can hear that the way you sang it sounds really as if it came from throat only and a bit upper chest, we're trying to let air flow through all of our body and use the strength of our support (located in abdominal region) to get to deepen the sound and let it flow through our body which is when you can become relaxed in singing cause the support holds your pitch stable which is when you can work to get more emotions into singing and such :)
What am i even talking?? XDD
Anyways not saying this sounds bad, i was just trying to give constructive criticism :)

LC9 - Hold On:
Oh you showed partly support in here! At the "shades of grey" for example and the "insecure" afterwards, you can hear your could hold stable and relax which is when a bit of your vibrato (*-*) appeared :D
Yeah the "outmaxing" Anke (Yukidama) mentioned, it would be good to make your mic settings to quiet yeah, so you don't get the distorsions :)

Eric Benet - The Hunger:
Here some parts were a bit too low for your to lie on your support and flow so you had to press a bit through the throat again, same with Anke again, I would love to hear some girls songs :D
The song sounds pretty cool and you seem to feel it pretty well, cool :)

4men - Baby Baby:
Same with the low pitch, if it would be higher I think you would've sounded a lot better :) And the mic probs again :)

ZEA - Phoenix:
I'm really no ZEA fan.. |D' ok that was short haha XD can't really judge it besides the mic prob :)'

Please Marry Me:
You have a pretty clear way of pronouncing which is pretty cool, you seem to be more relaxed in rap, yay :) Again the "outmaxing problem", I hope we can fix that soon :)

Earthquake:
Your voice sounds cool in raps, I hope we can have your voice in some PPs soon :)

Another Year Another Day:
Oh you wrote that yourself? So cool! I wouldn't even be able to do that even if it would be on my life XDD'
Aww that sounds so cuuute :3

Yoshaaa~ Hope to hear more from you soon :)
네게 눈이 먼 난 널 보낼 수 없어...
xKeirafanx
BR's Sweet Powercutie
BR's Sweet Powercutie

Postby xKeirafanx » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:16 pm

When it comes to mic settings, listen to Anke/Yukidama, she knows what she's talking about.

I must admit I don't know all of the songs (most of them if I am honest).
Your rap is pretty developed, when it comes to faster lines I think, oddly, the English rap is harder to stay in pace with for you than the Korean one. Your Korean rap sounds very comfortable and relaxed and you clearly have a style too. Your voice sounds naturally lower and raspy when rapping, which is an advantage I wish I had.

For the singing I go with what Cho said, there's a lot potential. Lower notes seem to be a bit of a pitch problem when singing, but range can be trained, both high and low notes. Your voice has a nice tone, I wonder how you sound in female songs.
Lost in #BR-land

Noræon's Middle Child
21cssk
BR's Michmellow
BR's Michmellow

Postby 21cssk » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:15 am

HOW CAN PPL NOT SAY YOUR VOICE IS SEXY. IT IS SEXAAAYY.
you're such a great rapper *-* your singing sounds really great too, though in some parts there could be room for improvements~ ^^

i second meike! i want to hear you sing girl songs hahaha. do an f(x) song for me?
juliqaaa
Back-up Vocalist
Back-up Vocalist

Postby juliqaaa » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Wow you guys are unbelievably amazing! :kyaa: Thank you so much for the feedback, I really want to improve ^^!

Anke - Ahh resetting my microphone volume before recording, okay gotcha :3 I'll try that for next time! Thank you for the kind words on my rapping, I really want to get better at that haha especially Korean raps. I've recorded a few girl group songs in the past but I only liked the result of one personally because I don't think I can sing that well in female songs OTL if you would like to hear it, I'll send you a link :)

Cho - I used to have singing lessons but I've completely forgotten that warm up exercises, breathing exercises and using your diaphragm to sing rather than your throat is much better! Thanks for the reminder ^___^ I'm going to try my best to remember to do a 'comfortable' pitch when recording than following the original song pitch heh.

Ky - Thank you for pointing out the difference in my English and Korean rap recordings! With my English rap, a lot of times especially when I write my own, I can't seem to follow the beat at times, I have a lot of difficulty haha but I'll work harder on it in the future!

Mich - Oh you do flatter me with the 'sexy' comments hahaha! Actually, I've done an f(x) song recording before but that was with a really, really bad mic D: but for you, I will definitely do a better recording of it after I've done my parts in the NU'EST collab and post it on the forum :D
Sai
BR's Strong "The Jjong" Baby!
BR's Strong "The Jjong" Baby!

Postby Sai » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:24 pm

I really like your timbre, especially when you sing in your higher register! (* *) I can't say much about the rap because I don't know the songs and I always find it hard to say something about the flow etc then, I'm sorry (u u)

I would very much just agree with what Cho has said for tipps <3 And maybe, for illustrating support, I'd recommend watching this video, I thought he explains everything quite well! (^-^) Though you said you had vocal lessons already, sometimes watching someone else explain it might help as well <3 (and I get tons of great youtube recommendations lately so I want to share them with you all too! XD)

Welcome to the forum again! I hope to hear you in lots of projects in the future~ <3
juliqaaa
Back-up Vocalist
Back-up Vocalist

Postby juliqaaa » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:41 pm

@Sai - Thank you for the video recommendation, Eric is really cool - he's the one that I use the warming up exercises before so I'll definitely watch the video you linked me! :3 Singing lessons are expensive now so I shall make use of the videos a lot :) thank you again for the advice! <3

Return to “Previous Solo Releases”